Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members. Learn More
9372Consciousness and Time (Clarification)
- Aug 24, 2011[Adhanom Andemicael; July 1, 2011]
Time, "Happenings," and Quantum Reality:
A subjective event is an event that exists inside the mind. An objective event is an event that exists outside the mind (i.e., an event that exists independently of the mind).
[Ralph Frost; July 6, 2011]
I am wondering if you can flesh out, define, clarify. exemplify and describe what it is that you mean and intend when you use the word: "mind".
I hope the text below provides the necessary clarification.
(My original message can be accessed at the following site:
Q: What is the definition of the term "subjective event"?
A "subjective event" is a "subjective experience."
Q: What is the definition of the term "objective event"?
An "objective event" is an "event that is *not* a subjective experience."
Q: Do subjective events "happen"?
Yes. (They "happen" because consciousness flows.)
Q: Do objective events "happen"?
No. (They do not "happen" because spacetime is static.)
Let us suppose that Ann is a time traveler who lives in the universe "U1." In order for a paradox to arise when Ann travels backward in time, statements S1 and S2 below must both be true. Note however: These statements are both false. Since S1 and S2 are false, we must conclude the following: When Ann travels backward in time, a paradox does not arise.(1)
Statement S1: "Objective events 'happen' in U1."(2)
Statement S2: "An objective event exists in U1 that both 'happens' and does not 'happen'."(3)(4)
A "subjective happening" is a "subjective experience that happens." An "objective happening" is an "objective event that happens." Ann's experience of traveling backward in time is a "subjective happening" (not an "objective happening").
The events that create the grandfather paradox (i.e., "GP") are objective, physical events. In U1, objective, physical events do not "happen." Therefore, in that universe, the events that create GP do not "happen."
If the events that create GP do not "happen," GP does not arise. In U1, the events that create GP do not "happen." Therefore, in that universe, GP does not arise.(5)
1. S1 and S2 are always false. Since these statements are always false, we conclude the following: In U1, backward time travel never gives rise to paradox.
2. If an objectively flowing time does not exist, objective events do not "happen." In U1, an objectively flowing time does not exist. Therefore, in that universe, objective events do not "happen."
3. Statement S2 presumes that objective events "happen" in the universe U1. Note however: Objective events do not "happen" in U1. Statement S2 is therefore false.
4. In order for statement S2 to be true, S1 must be true. Since S1 is not true, S2 is not true.
5. We must not confuse the "grandfather paradox" (i.e., "GP") with the "*concept* of the grandfather paradox" (i.e., "CGP"). GP is a scenario that arises when certain objective events "happen." CGP is a thought that exists within the mind.
- Next post in topic >>